Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Soup n' Soap ~ 2 Recipes in a Day!

I've made my second batch of liquid laundry soap, and I really like it, so it's my duty to share :)
I make 1/2 of this recipe at a time, simply because I can store it easier.

Liquid Laundry Soap - Front or Top Load
4 Cups hot tap water
1 Fels-Naptha soap bar
1 Cup Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
1/2 Cup Borax
Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water.
Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.
Fill a 5-gallon bucket half full of hot tap water.  Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax.  Stir well until all powder is dissolved.  Fill bucket to top with more hot water.  Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.
*hint* I continue to stir the soap occasionally to keep it from clumping.
Stir, and fill a used, clean laundry soap bottle 1/2 full of soap, then fill with hot water.  Shake before each use (the soap will gel).  (I store the remaining soap in ice cream containers)
You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per 2 gallons after soap cools.
Yield ~ Liquid soap recipe makes 10 gallons
Top Load ~ 5/8 cup per load (approx 180 loads)
Front Load ~ 1/4 cup per load (approx 640 loads)

I tried this new soup recipe and it was awesome!  Tweak it how you like!
*note* this is my double recipe so you may want to half it.

Lasagna Soup
3 lbs Italian Sausage
1 yellow onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 tsp dried Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
4 Tbsp tomato paste
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
12 cups chicken stock
16 oz of any short, thin type pasta (I used 2 bags from the Hispanic food section)
Salt and Pepper to taste
16 oz Ricotta cheese
1 cup Romano/Asiago grated cheese
4 cups Mozzarella cheese, shredded
In a large pot, brown sausage over medium heat, breaking into small pieces.  Cook sausage till done, then add onions and cook till softened.  Add garlic, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes.  Cook for an additional minute or 2.  Add the tomato paste and stir well to incorporate.  Add crushed tomatoes and chicken stock.  Stir to combine.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.  Next, add uncooked pasta and cook until al dante (only about 4 minutes).  Don't overcook or continue to simmer because pasta will become mushy.  Season with salt and pepper.
While the pasta is cooking, combine the cheeses.
Pour soup into bowls and top with a handful of cheese mixture.
Enjoy!!!

Whew, maybe I'll quit while I'm ahead :)



No comments:

You Might Also Like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...