Friday, June 18, 2010

Since We're Talking Soup...

I serve egg drop soup as a side dish once a week because we all love it. It's so easy and so cheap...and we all love it. Only problem, no cheese. I wonder... Nah!

Egg Drop Soup
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
2 chicken bouillon cubes
1 tsp salt
dash pepper
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 green onion, chopped, including top
wanton sheets (I find these in W*l-Mart produce section)
2 tbsp olive oil
Cut wanton sheets in half. Heat oil in non-stick pan and brown wantons on both sides (only takes a sec). Place browned wanton sheets on paper towel to absorb oil.
Heat chicken broth, water, bouillon, salt and pepper to boiling in saucepan. Stir green onions into eggs. Pour egg/onion mixture slowly into boiling broth, stirring constantly with a fork to shred eggs.
We use the wanton sheets like crackers in the soup! Delish!

Here's another hit ~

Ham and Cheese Wraps
Large wraps (I use the Zesty Herb)
2 lbs deli ham
shredded lettuce
chopped tomatoes
shredded cheddar/jack cheese
Mayo
Spread each wrap with Mayo, then layer the ham, lettuce, tomato and cheese (or hide the cheese in the ham :) Close the bottom first, roll each wrap tightly. Great thing about this is you can prepare it a few hours before mealtime and refrigerate!

If ya'll are brave enough to try any of my tweaked recipes, let me know what you think. I used to stress about what to fix for supper and would put it off till the last minute, causing more stress.

Now I plan a two-week menu and choose the meals that fit the day's activities. Hopefully, within a month our menu will include fresh sweet corn! I do crazy things like pre-cook chicken breasts and freeze them, prepare double dishes for freezing, freeze chopped onions and peppers....
I used to be the world's best procrastinator and then zip into action right before the deadline - that doesn't work for me anymore! I've found that with a Table for Ten, I can't really pretend mealtime doesn't exist :)

2 comments:

April said...

I could learn a lot from you!!!! Oh wait I do learn a lot from you, keep up the good work!

Jodi said...

Friends laugh at my "Sam's Club" Day -
there is the shopping, then there is the unpacking, then there is the cooking and freezing!
Today I am cooking lasagna for tomorrow (Dad's favorite), but will be cooking extra to freeze! Love it!
Now all I need is an refrig/freezer in my garage.
Love the recipes - keep them coming!

You Might Also Like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...