Thursday, June 17, 2010

Hide the Cheese!

Do you have any idea how hard it is to cook without cheese? And how ridiculous it is? :) We LOVE cheese! But one of my Treasures does not. Actually, he doesn't know whether he loves cheese or not. He may really like something...until he finds out it has cheese, and suddenly his palate changes. So I've gotten creative and found ways to hide the cheese. This is a soup that we all love! Even in the summertime. I serve this with bakery French bread, fresh fruit and it's as easy as that!

And here's the disclaimer ~ Most of my recipes have been tweaked to fit our family with the following regulations:

~ If it takes more than 5 seconds to read the recipe, I cut something out;

~if it takes more than 10 minutes to prepare the ingredients, I cut something out;

~if it contains ingredients I don't like or can't pronounce, I cut something out;

~finally, I double everything :) So, here's my version (except for doubling) ~

Chicken Tortellini Soup

6 c water

3 cans chicken broth

1 cube chicken bouillon

1 can cream of chicken soup

1 cup chunked chicken (I pre-cook a bunch of chicken breasts, chunk them and keep them in the freezer)

½ cup chopped onion

1 tsp minced garlic

1 dash oregano

9 oz pkg cheese tortellini

*add a few broccoli florets for color

In large saucepan combine water, chicken broth, bouillon, soup, chicken, onion, garlic and oregano. Bring to a boil; add tortellini. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. (add broccoli 15 minutes before done).

6 comments:

Tami said...

i loved this! thanks for sharing the recipe! so far - we are 4 for 5 on the cheese loving scale. something tells me that we might slip to 4 for 6 in a few months ;-)

love you!

Lori at JOY Unspeakable said...

Sounds yummy!!! I will definitely give this a try!

Jodi said...

Yummy! I agree - I'm always cutting things out of recipes!

Kathy said...

That does sound yummy!
Sarah doesn't like cheese either! :(
She is eating a teeny tiny bit on her
tacos now. Twice this week she
surprised me when she asked for
and ate grilled cheese sandwiches!

Laurel said...

Sounds yummy! I will definitely try this one out with my extra large family!

I pre-cook and cut up chicken breasts, too. Saves so much time in the kitchen.


Laurel :)

Chris said...

sounds good... always looking for an easy meal.

You Might Also Like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...