Friday, January 18, 2008

Juggling



This is me :) Oh, it's not so bad! Yesterday was a good day in the hospital. There weren't a lot of sensible conversations, but I'm learning to participate in the nonsense :) I finally had a good visit with the oncologist, and he helped me understand a little better what's going on. Melanoma tumors are vascular, and Dad's brain tumor is in a critical spot, behind his optic nerve. Even though the cyberknife may have killed the cancer cells, the tumor is still present, or at least debris from the tumor is present. A month after the cyberknife procedure something began to bleed in the area of the tumor, whether it was the tumor itself or another area of the brain, we don't know. We only know the results: confusion, belligerence, agitation, etc. This brain injury is much like a stroke, and the extent and progress of healing is unknown. The doctor assures me that everything that can be "fixed" is being fixed. There is no explanation for Dad having one day of physical weakness and exhaustion, one day of belligerence, a few hours of clarity, ramblings about unusual things like designing vehicles for better air quality, banking and stock market, goat farming in Mexico, or like yesterday, one day of all the above (he was in the bank yesterday). His potassium was low, and while that generally isn't a cause for confusion, he is thinking much better since it's been regulated. PT had Dad on his feet for 3 brief moments yesterday. The exertion led to agitation and confusion, during which time I repeatedly told him where we were and why he couldn't get up. Eventually he became so tired he slept nearly 2 hours, and then woke up somewhat refreshed. After a short conversation about the invention of shopping carts, he began to watch a classic Western movie and was quoting lines from it! Finally, last night both my parents had a restful night, and he was ready for breakfast this morning. After my mom and I got off the phone, he insisted she call me back to tell me that he loves me! Today might be a good day! We'll go back to the hospital as a family tomorrow. Please continue to pray for healing, clarity and opportunity! BTW, my husband rocks! I had left a recipe and ingredients on the counter, and after the kids' basketball games he made the best chicken pot pie I've ever eaten. I'll have to share that recipe!

No comments:

You Might Also Like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...