Friday, December 5, 2008

Ix-nay on the Otty-pay

It's official, the little emperor and empress are NOT ready nor interested in potty training. And I'm pretty certain if I kept on they would want their mommy back, rather than the drill Sargent I've become :) And so we will wait for the next opportunity and continue to buy Huggies in bulk.

Am I the only person who hasn't put up Christmas decorations? My friends' homes are beautifully decorated and I still can't decide if I want to drag the huge tree out of the attic or select a live one. I know Christmas is not about the decor in our home, but I would like to enjoy the beauty it brings. We are having our annual Hanging of the Green service this Sunday night, and it is so beautiful! It's a reminder that many of the decorations we put up in our homes have Christian origin. For instance, did you know the candy cane was made to symbolize Jesus' birth, ministry and death. There is meaning behind the solid white, red-striped confection.

The Christmas tree points upward to God and is a reminder of the greatest gift ever given, Jesus, who died upon a cross made from a tree.

As I decorate this year, I pray I will take the time to remember the true meaning of Christmas. Have you read this book?


It is our tradition to read this every Christmas season. I can't get through it without crying. Basically it's the story of three trees on a hillside who had big dreams of what they wanted to be when they were grown. As each one is chopped down and put to use, they think their dreams have died, but by the end of the book it's clear that God has much grander plans for each tree.

Thank you so much for your encouraging words! I received some awesome comments and emails, AND isn't it just like God to show me people I could encourage as well. I hope you have a blessed weekend!

1 comment:

Martha said...

Thanks for the reminder of the symbolism of the Chrstmas decorations. I know I should look for Christ in everything and I forget to sometimes.

As for potty training, be comforted in knowing that your purchasing Huggies in bulk is boosting our lagging economy ;)

You Might Also Like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...