Wednesday, April 1, 2015

The Lie

Sometimes I see things that leave me speechless.
And breathless.
And wondering.
And heartbroken.
And shaken.
And changed.
At least for a time.
And then I venture back into my comfy life, and it's almost as if I never left it.

I see orphanages full of children.

They seem happy enough.  And a week later I believe the lie that they are.  Except...
 ....this time is different.  I asked if any of these children had families committed to them, thinking I would take a photo to send to the waiting mommy and daddy.  The response:  "Some of them are 'stolen.'"  What?  They were taken from their families and have been recovered, but the families haven't been located yet.

We know it's real.  
Trafficking.  
Now an orphanage is a haven for recovered children?
I am thankful for this orphanage, and I'm even more thankful that children have been reclaimed.  I pray they are reunited with their families!

Church, what will we do?
About oppression?
About orphans?
Some think we need to 'take care of our own'.
Great!  What are you doing to 'take care of our own'?
I'm not suggesting that children on another continent are any more important to the Father than others.  Not at all!
But really, are we just too busy or too lazy to take care of anyone but ourselves?
We believe the lie that we are:
*too busy
*too poor
*too limited 
*too old
*too young
*too ______ 
*the problem is too big

And it's not just orphan care.  Maybe it's your neighbor.  The widow down the road.  The single parent.  The veteran.  The impoverished.  The differently abled.  The addicted.  The imprisoned.


Perhaps the biggest lie we can believe is that this life is about US!

For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.  
Ephesians 2:10

2 comments:

Wright Family said...

okay, call me a skeptic, but I cannot help but suspect that this is the lie they are now telling to avoid having to admit that they are keeping healthy girls to marry the surplus of men they now have

Kate said...

kidnapping, trafficking Chinese children into adoption for profit has been going on for ages -- exacerbated by the fact that foreigners pay way more in "orphanage donations" than locals:
http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/14/china/china-child-trafficking-bust/

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/mar/12/missing-kidnapped-trafficked-china-children
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2851841/Chinese-couple-trafficked-children-including-arrested-overheard-discussing-prices-babies.html




You Might Also Like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...