Monday, November 5, 2012

What Makes Us Cry?


Have you ever experienced something that forever changed you?
Attended the funeral of someone who didn’t know Jesus?
Known someone killed by a drunk driver?
Known of a child who was abused or neglected?
Heard the silent cries of infants and children bound and institutionalized?
Walked among people so impoverished they ate from the dump site?
Sat with a widow so lonely she can’t bear another day?
Spoken to the prisoner who cried out to Jesus?
Ministered to the missionary who surrendered it all?
No doubt, these circumstances make us cry.  Or look away.
But what else will we do?
While looking away eases our discomfort and crying cleanses our spirit, neither of these responses does anything for those mentioned above.  What will we do FOR THEM?
“If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself…” (Luke 9:23)
What is my desire?  My ‘self’ or my God?
I desire what I love, and I love what I desire, right?
I can speak of love and desiring Jesus all day long, but my actions are the proof.
If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be answered.  (Proverbs 21:13)
If I am truly a follower of Christ, a believer, one who has been redeemed…is crying over hard things enough?
If you say, “But we knew nothing about this,” does not he who weighs the heart perceive it?  Does not he who guards your life know it?  (Proverbs 24:12)
How long will we turn away and pretend we don’t see the hurting?  I will be held accountable for the things I should have done.
If we are willing to step into the dark places, we can’t help but come away changed.
But change can be so uncomfortable.  And lonely.  And heartbreaking.  And different.
And breathtaking. And refreshing.  And passionate.  And rewarding.  And joyful. 
Will I cry or will I act?

No comments:

You Might Also Like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...