Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The Reason for God ~ Intro

My friend, Stefanie, at Ni Hao Y'all, just completed her first on-line book study on Knowing God by J.I. Packer.  I was so blessed to be a part of that study that when she announced a second one, I wanted in!

We officially start The Reason for God by Timothy Keller next week, but Stefanie posted an introductory question yesterday to kick us off!

This study is going to cause me to dig deep in addressing my cultural and personal beliefs...and doubts.

"Believers are urged to face, head on, both their cultural and personal doubts to Christianity. Skeptics are urged to wrestle with the faith on which their belief – their skepticism – is based, and to consider how handily they could defend those beliefs to those who do not share them. And, at the end of the process, regardless of whether or not our beliefs change, we will hold onto our beliefs with a new-found clarity and humility, and an understanding and respect for the opposing side that we didn’t possess previously.
Question: Can you relate to what Keller says about the need for Christians to dissect their personal and cultural doubts? If so, what are your most pervasive doubts? If not, to what do you attribute your confidence?"



Ni Hao Yall

I suppose one of the benefits of not growing up in church and accepting Jesus at age 36 is that I didn't have an inherited faith or beliefs.  However, over the last 12 years as I've tried to live out my faith, I find it easier to settle into the cultural norm.  If asked why I believe what I believe and why I do what I do, I'm not sure I could give a practical answer.  This study will cause me to wrestle with my beliefs and doubts...and hopefully come out on the other side with an answer for the hope that I have!

This is gonna get raw, and it's gonna get real.  That's very humbling.  I'm ready!

1 comment:

The Stiffs said...

Excited to start the study too and hear what everyone has to say. Thanks for sharing.

You Might Also Like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...