Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Change My Mind Heart!

Here it is the eve of Thanksgiving, and I've been complaining all day! One of my precious friends (to protect the innocent, I will not mention names) knows how I feel...because I've been so honest with her today. I love you, sister!!!

I'm not at all proud of how I'm feeling. In fact, I've been saying to myself, "I SO need to change my mind about how I feel today." Like that's gonna happen! I'm so human...and my mind isn't the problem. It's my heart!

For out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks. Matthew 12:34

So that's why my words are so ugly today - ack!

Truth is, I can be thankful just because God is who He is! Never mind the indescribable amount of blessing He has heaped upon me! Even without all of that, I can still praise Him just because He IS!

If I just weren't so stinkin' human and caught up with what's going on right in front of me at this very moment as if it's going to last a lifetime: One child would rather stand on the sidelines sucking her thumb than play with her sibs; one can't find a single constructive thing to do; four are competing for the l.o.u.d. championship...blah, blah, blah.

See, I'm imagining that everyone else's home is so much more pleasant, peaceful and...well, Thanks-giving-y.

And the Lord stopped me in my tracks!

God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Psalm 46:1

For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 2 Corinthians 4:17

I need to stop whining, turn to Him and gain perspective! This Thanksgiving we have 2 more Treasures home! My college kid is home! My family is well! We get to host Thanksgiving on Friday! We are celebrating Baby Joy's birthday tonight! But above all else, my God reigns!!!

Why are you so downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God. Psalm 42:5:6

I'm reminded of this beautiful Josh Wilson song, Fall Apart:

Why in the world did I think I could
Only get to know you when my life was good
When everything just falls in place
The easiest thing is to give You praise

Now it all seems upside down

‘Cause my whole world is caving in
But I feel You now more than I did then
How can I come to the end of me
And somehow still have all I need
God, I want to know You more
Maybe this is how it starts
I find You when I fall apart

My goodness, though my life is far from perfect, I have so very much to be thankful for. And today I am especially thankful that God changes my heart, not just for eternity...but moment by moment!

My sweet friends, from our imperfect home to yours, may the Lord bless you in this season of Thanksgiving!

4 comments:

Kim said...

Connie,
Thank you for your words! I enjoy reading your blog, and I'm usually touched by how God is working in your lives. Tonight your words and God's words were just what I needed. I was harboring hate and resentment, and asking "Why did this happen to ME oh Lord?" Well, He used you and being human to remind me that I need to trust in Him and His reasons for the things that have happened in my life that I was questioning.

Thank you!!!!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!!!

God's Blessings!

Lori at JOY Unspeakable said...

Protect the "innocent"? Hahaha, I was complaining right along with you, dear friend. :) I need to pray this ugly attitude away!

Great post, btw! MUCH to be thankful for!!

Debbie Sauer said...

We've all be there one time or the other. Blessings

Jean said...

I'm with ya!

One minute I think we are doing pretty good and the next I would classify us as disfunctional!

And the attitude- I gotta pry for it ALL THE TIME! Or I miss all His blessings!

You Might Also Like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...