Monday, February 1, 2010

You Know Better

Ah, the words of a mother. In my childhood I often heard my mother say, "You know better than that!" And now as a mom, I find myself saying the same thing...a lot! Especially in the last three months. Trouble is, the person I'm saying it to really doesn't know better.

He's never been taught to know better. He doesn't know the Source of better knowledge.

I can't tell you the number of times in China we were told, "Your son has a good heart."

I beg to differ. He may have a kind heart, a gentle heart, but no heart is good until it has been washed by the blood of Jesus.

We can encourage growth and change, but there is no change that is lasting unless the heart is transformed.

It is this realization that has caused us to change our prayers. We probably all know people who have kind hearts and do good things. And we probably even know people who have good hearts and don't always do the kind thing (guilty!)

Unless our hearts have been transformed by the Father, our acts of kindness are just that ~ acts. They are not inspired by the Source of mercy, grace, love and hope. They are limited, limited by our own ability to extend kindness.

My challenge for today ~ how will I be Jesus to my son in hopes that one day He will receive the Gift which will give him a good heart...so that he truly will know better?
I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh.
Ezekiel 36:26

5 comments:

trina said...

Praying with you, my friend..and asking myself those same questions.

Anonymous said...

Connie:
Praying for you and for the salvation of the one who needs it.
Leveta

Our family said...

Will be praying for salvation. I am just so thankful that he is where he is - with a God-fearing, daily Christ-seeking family. Praise God for that!

Adeye said...

TRUSTING TRUSTING TRUSTING for salvation, my friend. I absolutely love the way you express your heart so tenderly.

Standing with you and believing for the new heart!

Love and hugs
Adeye

hollym. said...

I'm praying for your family, Connie.
Hold fast to the One that saves,heals and restores all hearts.

You Might Also Like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...