Friday, January 27, 2017

Chinese New Year 2017 - Year of the Rooster...and Tea Eggs



I'm not so good at preparing Chinese food, I admit, but there is a favorite of my kids that I have mastered - TEA EGGS!

Tea Eggs
6 eggs
5 Tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
2 black tea bags (or 2 Tbsp of black tea leaves)
1 tsp Anise
1 stick cinnamon
Several grinds of black peppercorn
Place the eggs in a saucepan with enough cold water to cover.  Bring to a boil, and then simmer for 2 minutes
Remove the eggs from the water, and using a knife, tap each egg to slightly crack the shell in several places.
Return the eggs to the saucepan of water, and add the rest of the ingredients.
Cover and simmer for 3 hours, adding additional water as necessary.
I let the eggs sit in the water till it's room temp, and then refrigerate them.
Peel, rinse and enjoy!

No comments:

You Might Also Like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...