Monday, March 4, 2013

10,000 Reasons

I am currently doing a study on J.I. Packer's Knowing God, and I'm literally stuck in Chapter 12, The Love of God.
I'm stuck, not because I don't have time to read it.  Not because I don't understand it.  But because I am meditating on it and wanting the Scriptures to come alive in me, making the Truth become evidenced in my actions.  So, I am stuck.
Everything in this chapter speaks to me.  I am convicted.  I am seeking the Father.  
I want to share some of the chapter with you.

Packer writes, "God's love is an exercise of his goodness toward individual sinners whereby, having identified himself with their welfare, he has given his Son to be their Savior, and now brings them to know and enjoy him in a covenant relationship."

Then, at the end of the chapter, he lists questions to ponder.  I want to share these questions with you, just in case you are in a place of wondering if God really does love you.  I mean, I know that God loves me.  But the question that keeps me spinning is this: how does His love in me manifest itself toward others?  Ouch!

If, as a Christian, it is true to me that God is love, then:
1) Why do I ever grumble and show discontent and resentment at the circumstances in which God has placed me?
2) Why am I ever distrustful, fearful or depressed?
3) Why do I ever allow myself to grow cool, formal and halfhearted in the service of the God who loves me?
4) Why do I ever allow my loyalties to be divided, so that God has not all my heart?
5) Could an observer learn from the quality and degree of love that I show to others anything at all about the greatness of God's love to me?

Maybe these questions are easy for you to answer, but they have hit me hard, as in an up-in-your-face kinda way.

After all, I am a believer.  Have been for nearly 12 years now.  And yet, in the absence of words, would anyone know it by my actions?  

1 John 4:11 ~ Since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.

God's love for me is so evident, every single moment of every day.  And yet, I take it for granted, just like the simple act of having light via the flip of a switch.  Last week during the power outage, I realized how much I take for granted.  To keep my spirits up, I would thank God that He is the true Power, but why did it take the absence of light to appreciate it?  Though God will never remove His love for me, I realize I take it for granted.  And by taking it for granted, I mean I don't extend it as I should.

Today, my heart is full.  I am spending this day praising and worshiping the God who loves me.  And my prayer is that He will cause me to love differently.  Freely.  With abandon.  With grace.

"10,000 Reasons (Bless The Lord)"

[Chorus]
Bless the Lord, O my soul
O my soul
Worship His holy name
Sing like never before
O my soul
I'll worship Your holy name

The sun comes up, it's a new day dawning
It's time to sing Your song again
Whatever may pass, and whatever lies before me
Let me be singing when the evening comes

[Chorus]
Bless the Lord, O my soul
O my soul
Worship His holy name
Sing like never before
O my soul
I'll worship Your holy name

You're rich in love, and You're slow to anger
Your name is great, and Your heart is kind
For all Your goodness I will keep on singing
Ten thousand reasons for my heart to find

[Chorus]
Bless the Lord, O my soul
O my soul
Worship His holy name
Sing like never before
O my soul
I'll worship Your holy name

And on that day when my strength is failing
The end draws near and my time has come
Still my soul will sing Your praise unending
Ten thousand years and then forevermore

[Chorus x2]
Bless the Lord, O my soul
O my soul
Worship His holy name
Sing like never before
O my soul
I'll worship Your holy name

Jesus, I'll worship Your holy name
Lord, I'll worship Your holy name

Sing like never before
O my soul
I'll worship Your holy name
Jesus, I'll worship Your holy name
I'll worship Your holy name

1 comment:

Matt and Maria said...

My daughter and I talked about this just this morning. How will her friends who don't know the Lord see His love in her if she kicks her brother?

How much more so for me. How do my children see God changing me if I have a bad attitude?

May God's grace abound in us today.

You Might Also Like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...